> I tried to install ATI Technologies' Linux driver for its 
> All-In-Wonder
> 9700 Pro
> (http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html
> ?cboOS=Lin
> uxXFree86&cboProducts=AIW+9700+PRO&eula=&choice=agree&cmdNext=
> Next), and
> when I rebooted, all that would start is the bash shell.
>  
> My error message ran thus:
>  
> Fatal server error: No screen found.
> Send log file "var/log/xfree86.0.log" report to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>  
> Unfortunately, I don't know how to send stuff from the bash 
> shell (I'm a
> newbie).
>  
> Is there anything you can recommend? At least tell me how to 
> remove the
> ATI driver so I can go back to the original driver built in 
> by Red Hat,
> which at least worked reasonably well?
>  
> Jack Kapica

Hmm, my first SuSE package had some 450 pages of documentation
for the Shell and for xfree86 setup. meanwhile i have seen they
have added several hundreds of pages more. just read the docu
that your Linux distribution vendor provided to you.
(Linux is a learning curve...)

but here is the quistart for XF86 generic environments:
- log in to the shell as root,
- type 'xf86config" 
- answer the questions
- save your results
- type startx

thats it.

BTW, i would be keen on the outputs of "lspci -vvv -xxx"
in order to know which PCI device/function IDs your grafics 
adapter does expose to the system. can you do that?

maybe a backup of the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log would be
further of interest in order to see where your failing setup
really fails. posting it to the list would be likely to 
benefit anyone out there.

-Alex.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to