Hi Andrew,
Your email was very helpful. I just turned-off the
firewall security (set it to Low) and everything
worked fine now. I'm in a company network that has a
firewall for outside transactions so I really did not
need the medium firewall security for internal network
needs.
Thank you very much.
jerome
> Hi,
>
> I'm using redhat linux 7.3 with the X
software that
> came with the CD. I installed Linux with
medium
> firewall security, it uses DHCP for its IP
address.
> I'm using the machine together with Sun
Ultra
> workstations on Solaris 2.7 and up.
>
> I wanted to display applications from the
Solaris
> machines on my Linux computer but I always
get 'Cannot
> open display myip:0.0'. No other message
is
> displayed. I have tried setting up xauth
and have
> made sure I have xhost + and have done
setenv DISPLAY
> myip:0.0. If I type xhost - on the linux
machine and
> try running the solarix x app, I still get
the same
> error. I was expecting "Refused by server"
here.
I think that "medium firewall security"
blocks X
traffic in that direction.
If you want "medium security" you should not
use xhost.
Consider xauth instead.
I find that ssh makes the xauth cookie
management transparent
and use it all the time instead of telnet.
__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for Valentine's Day
http://shopping.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86