I recently installed Red Hat 8, please note that I previously did try older versions of Red Hat and each time experienced the same problem with X.
Until now I used Caldera 2.3 (Something like Edesktop). It detected my settings correctly and installed without me having to modify anything else. However, with Red Hat I always had this one problem with X, it won't start.
The settings detected by Caldera's installer was:
Video Card: S3 Trio64 V2/DX or /GX rev 20
Mode clock programmable up to 170mhz
1mb Video Ram
Monitor: Typical Monitors 800 X 600 60mhz
Horizontal Khz: 31.5-37.9
Vertical khz: 55-90
Video Mode: 800 X 600 Refresh=56, Depth: 8-16bpp Horiz sync=35.15 Mode clock=36
Attached are the files needed for a possible solution. I also noticed this error on the config screen: "Server error: no screens found"
Also note that I have an onboard screencard SIS 5598 which I don't use. I use the S3 card which is in a PCI slot.
Maybe you could just sort-of modify the config file, I don't know-I really ain't a Linux expert, just a student.
Should you need anymore info, let me know.
Thanks for your help and time.
Regards,
P Botha
XFree86.0.log
Description: Binary data
XF86Config
Description: Binary data
<<< text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed: Unrecognized >>>

