I do this kind a thing all the time :) Using ssh is the way to go. However, there are a couple complication if you are behind a NAT, but i'll disregard those for now.
As for speed concerns, using 100BaseT networking at home, there is hardly any lag. I've watched DivX movies over the LAN no problem! In regards to the speed of the local machine, if you have less than 64 MB of ram, X + KDE/Gnome will crawl horribly, so the speedup is significant. I've also exported X applications from home to the lab machines at university. With 55KB/s upload with my cable modem, things are slow, but still usable for stuff like text-editing and email. If you are going to do this over a slow connection, you'll be much better off with using VNC. Keep in mind, you can always just run KDE (or some other window manager) locally, and just ssh in to the faster machine, then export an application. This would be good for something intermittantly CPU-intensive, such as the GIMP. If you are going to have many clients connecting to one machine, you'll really want to put in as much RAM as you can. I'd suggest 64 MB per active client, though you'll need less per client the more you add. Mark _______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

