Check on top of log which config file is being used. RH 7.3 comes with both X 4.x.x
and X 3.3.6.
The config files (usually /etc/X11/XF86Config for X 3.3.6 and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
for X 4.x.x)
have a different format (most noticeable the keyboard and pointer sections in X 3.3.6
format which
have been repaced by input devices sections for X 4.x.x format)
If you modify the wrong file then not much will happen...
Lionel