Hi:

I am having problems with gdm on Linux RedHat 7.3.
I removed all the files in /tmp with rm -rf .[a-zA-Z]* and rm -rf [a-zA-Z]*
as I was having problems with persistent socket connections. I then did  a
reboot because following which the gdm login failed to come up.

A ps shows that gdm is running.  But it does not open a window.
/var/log/messages shows the following message repeated many times:

Feb 19 23:58:05 dataman gdm[3287]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO
Feb 19 23:58:35 dataman gdm[3294]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO
Feb 19 23:59:05 dataman gdm[3304]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO
Feb 19 23:59:35 dataman gdm[3310]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO
Feb 20 00:00:05 dataman gdm[3331]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO
Feb 20 00:00:35 dataman gdm[3337]: create_fifo: Could not make FIFO

dataman is the hostname and apparently init keeps spawning gdm and exiting
with errors.

In addition, from the command line I cannot run startx as a regular user.  I
get the following errors:

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.

I can however run startx as root.  So I do not know why gdm is not running
and why regular users cannot start gdm or even run an xclient like xterm
from the command line.
Nothing in my configuration has changed.

I desperately need help as we are moving the development box into production
soon.

Chiji