On 23 Feb 2003, Kris Finkenbinder wrote:

> At least it seems to be a bug. Take note that I've seen this happening
> with recent releases of XFree86 for a few months, at least. I've been
> downloading new releases of Knoppix and booting them on this machine for
> a few months. Each time I've seen this and just thought it was something
> peculiar about the way Knoppix configured XFree86.

> What I have here is a Gateway Solo 9300, with a 15.7 inch (that's right,
> 15.7, that's not a typo), 1280x1024 LCD screen, and an ATI Rage
> Mobility-P video card, with 8MB of video memory, I believe.

> This card was working great with X 4.2.1 that was installed with
> Mandrake 9.0. I never had a problem with it. Since I started upgrading
> packages to Cooker versions, it has wigged out on me. I'm unable to take
> a screenshot of this effect. Apparently the window manager sees the
> screen just fine, it's just what I'm seeing that's gone haywire.

> Here's what I'm seeing: About one quarter from the top of the screen
> there is a horizontal line, below which everything gets stretched by
> about 30 pixels downward. Even the mouse cursor gets stretched when it
> crosses that area. Since the screen is being stretched, the actual
> bottom of the screen image is pushed off the bottom of the physical
> screen, so I can't see any toolbars down there.

> Along the right side of the screen, about 90 pixels away from the edge,
> there is a vertical swath about 30 pixels wide that is just "screwed up"
> like it's being seen through a filter or something. The effect is most
> marked around the edges of things, and on fonts.

> I'm not including a config file because it is pretty obviously not a
> configuration problem. I've tried XFdrake and xf86cfg -text to
> autocreate the file, and when that failed I tried all the different
> available options, even "LCDsync" which wasn't in the man page but was
> suggested on [EMAIL PROTECTED] by Marc la France. Nothing has made any

With "LCDSync", please ensure that the "Native panel mode" is not the
first mode, or Ctl-Alt-+ from the first mode to see if that clears the
problem.

> difference at all, except Option "SWcursor". Without that option, I
> can't click on anything without hovering over an invisible point about
> 200 pixels below the object I'm trying to click on. Also without that
> option, the mouse cursor will hit the bottom of that stretched area and
> stop dead, like it thinks it's at the top of the screen.

Marc.

+----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  University of Alberta           +-----------------------------------+
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |
+----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
XFree86 Core Team member.  ATI driver and X server internals.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to