Update:

Well, I managed to fix the problem. I checked out XFree86 from CVS built it,
then I copied the newly built radeon_dri.so file and copied it over my
existing one. Then with DRI enabled I tried running an OpenGL program again,
and it worked! Lucky guess, it seems.

I don't suppose anyone has an idea why the radeon_dri.so file was broken in
the first place...? I'm positive the original one was what was installed when
I installed XFree86 4.3 from the package. (I'm using Gentoo, so XFree86 was
compiled for me automatically.)

No worries, though. I'm glad it works!

Cheers,
Paul