I have a problem with what was a working system. here is the cronology:

originally working system: VIA mobo/Athlon 1600+ t'bird 512M SDRAM with chaintech geforce4 ti 4200 8x 128M DDR AGP card running RH 8.0 with nvidia drivers and a Dell P-990 monitor.

1st change: got new ASUS a7n8x mobo with 1800+ 512M DDR and same video card. video continued to work, but couldn't get either of the embedded NICs or the sound to work. tried compiling new modules for both, but had no luck.

2nd change: installed 8.0.94 'phoebe' beta as upgrade. now all hardware is recognized including geforce4 (generic). When it is time for X to start, the screen blanks and gives two very short flashes, and the usual drive activity continues. I can blindly type in tty1 and log on to the computer and it will reboot with the reboot command, so system is not hung. I tried typing my username and password after <alt>+f7 and I got a beep when I hit the enter key after my username. I don't know what was happening there. I did a <ctrl>+<alt>+f1 and was able to reboot.

I'm not a guru yet, so I am a little unsure as to how to procede from here. I checked bugzilla.redhat and only found one similar bug. it was closed and the reporter was told to contact you.

Please let me know if there is any more info needed. I would like to use my desktop instead of the 266 P-II laptop with debian I am using right now.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom


_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to