It seems likely that this device was never intended for anything
other than video.  You can probably run X on it with a shadow framebuffer.
See the glide driver.  It renders to the 3Dfx Voodoo 1 and 2 boards
by putting the framebuffer in system memory and then copying rectangles
over to the real framebuffer using the Glide(tm) library.  You could
have a shadowFB RefreshArea function that did the colorspace conversion
from RGB into YUV.

                        Mark.