On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Z_God wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got XFree86 4.3.0 with SuSE 8.2.
> I've set it up to calculate the apriopriate modelines automaticly, this works
> good for my normal resolution ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but when a game for example
> switches to a lower resolution, the refresh rate goes to 56Hz, which is
> extremely low. How do I fix this? I'm using the driver from NVidia.
> Thanks in advance, Z

   Limit the range of refresh rates available by setting the "VertRefresh"
range in the XF86Config file, Section "Monitor".  eg:

 VertRefresh 75-85

   The server picks the highest refresh mode for normal operation,
but games that change the mode through the xf86VidMode extension
have the ability to set any of the available modes.  This is a change
from earlier servers where they could only select between modes
explicitly mentioned in the XF86Config file.  Subsequently, many
games just pick the first mode of a particular resolution assuming
it wouldn't be in the list unless you explicitly put it there
in the XF86Config.   Ideal behavior for games would be if they
provided a list of available modes with refresh rates and indications
of double-scan, interlaced, etc... within the game's control panel.

                        Mark.