Okay it happened my Linux crashed - Well more like X11 crashed, I had to perform an
alt backspace on it as it had frozen up.

Yes I know leaving my system virtually zero disk space to work with is unsound,
nevertheless it happened leading to a crash....

Then again it's not like I haven't experienced anything similar in "that other" OS
:-) which was the reason 4 switching...

Hopefully I can get back to a more normal HDD usage ratio once I get my new computer,
but until then I'm stuck with a system that can currently only be accessed via the
linux rescue option in RH 9. and I need to get back on track.

There is about 70 Mb free on the system currently (there wasn't when the problem
occurred) - but I've fixed that in the hope that the problem would evaporate in a puff
of logic - but alas it was not to be...

My problem is that every time I'm trying start Linux - and I get to the login prompt
the machine orbits. (The login sequence goes into a repeating loop).

Normally I'm booting directly into x so in theory the graphic log in screen should
appear but instead the following happens...

login appears (the terminal version)

If I do nothing the screen goes blank a few seconds - then the login prompt appears
again.

No matter if I act immediately or if I do it after a few loops if I'm really fast I
can manage to type in the regular username but not the password - they're too long :-).

But before getting around to typing the password the screen goes blank and after a
while the machine either re-asks for the login user name or the password.

To beat the machine speed wise I've also tried to add a user that has only a one
digit/chr name and a one digit/chr password - so I can theoretically manage to type
both usr and pwd and press ENTER before the machine loops but in every case it just
loops and loops endlessly even though I have time to type both usr name and pwd.

How does one get out of such a predicament?

I have access to the system files etc. via the rescue option and can edit files etc.
via the edit interface of the Midnight Commander.

When I attempt starting X from the rescue option the following takes place:

startx
hostname:localhost.localdomain;hostname lookup failure
using authority file //:Xauthority
writing file //Xauthority
Fatal server error
cannot open log file /var/log/XFree86.0.log

I was then asked to contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] - (we'll I guess this is it :-)

Then I get the following error message

xinit: no such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to x server

xinit: no sucg process (errno3) server error

I've also tried to type login at the prompt in rescue mode to see if I could force a
log in as another user once the machine was up and running in rescue mode and got the
following error message:

Kernel panic: VFS : unable to mount FS on 48:05

So no luck there.

I would prefer not having to remove everything X as I am not enough into the file
structuring RPM installing / uninstalling etc. to be able to do so without having to
worry about some of the data/programs still not backed properly up as I had no chance
to do so before X crashed and about the process of finding and reintegrating external
programs I have installed after X was originally installed. But that's perhaps not an
issue???

Anybody got any suggestions to what I could do to get X up and running? :scratch: