I too have finally decided to upgrade to RH 9 (previous was 7.3)
I forgot about my better judgement and did an interactive setup with the following 
results:
The PC freezes at the "firstlogin" command (whatever that is supposed to do)
after some effort I managed to get a console login and tried to start X (startx) the 
PC froze
again at least on that terminal. I switched (Ctrl + Alt + F2) and was able to login 
and have a
look at the log: everything seemed in order, no error or whatever.
I decided to trim everything not absolutely necessary from XF86Config, it did not 
help. I switched
to the vesa driver I got a Host identification problem.

My question: must one  be a normal user (in view of all the problems I have been 
working as root)
in order for X to accept one?

my setup: ASUS AV7 with Athlon 1GB 256 MB RAM Graphic card Matrox 550 driving a 
Samsung SyncMaster
181T over DVI (possibly the root of the problem, I did not try with the analog 
input...)I assume
the rest of the configuration is not important, everything seemed to have been 
recognised during
the configuration and stood as such in the XF86Config. Only hack as to the Matrox was 
to set
VertRefresh to 60 which I believe is what most flatpanels love...
Thanks for any info. I can send the XF86Config and the log if judged useful, from what 
I could see
it seems difficult to find much since the log does not show any error or strange 
behaviour...
Lionel

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
http://sbc.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to