Hello:

This is a Red Hat 8.0 standalone PC ... I was trying to install Oracle 9i
Release 2 on Linux and I unfortunately followed 2 or 3 different sets of
directions for establishing the Oracle user account and dba account.

Regardless, I can no longer start in runlevel 5 gui mode now ... I don't
want to reinstall Red Hat yet again, and lose the files I've just downloaded
plus many other valuable files just because of this damned problem ... this
is twice now ...

Can you help?

The only clues I have are from the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file, which ends
with the following:

"Could not init front path element unix/:7100, removing from list!"

And then when I try to restart I always get:  "could not open default font
'fixed'.

The very last thing I was doing was trying to sign in as the oracle user.  I
had just written a new .bash_profile file, this time in /opt/oracle.
For the previous two days I was using another .bash_profile file, in
/usr/oracle.  I had just blown away that /usr/oracle directory when this
problem started.

It was looking for my $ORACLE_HOME location, which had been /usr/oracle, but
I'd just switched it to /opt/oracle and moved over some files to there.
When I restarted it came back with some problem with the
/usr/oracle/.gconf-test-locking-file and not being able to locate it.

I created that file brute-force style with cat > thatfilename ... and then
got this cannot start X problem.

Please answer.
Please try to help.  I'm on the same PC, on the Windows XP side sending this
to you.  (I set it up with a dual boot with grub.)

Please answer.

Nick