On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:18:04 -0500
Andy Goth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:09 pm, Case Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:28:27 -0500
> > Andy Goth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > GIMP-1.3 says it's a 1329x6 pixel image.  Is that really what you want?
> >
> > That image contains the essential ingredients to make my screen flicker
> > every single time.  To use it, the entire image needs to be visible, and
> > I get the most flickering when the image is close to the left edge of the
> > screen.  The image came from a gimp windowshot of mozilla displaying a
> > company website, and I cropped it down until the resultant image was of
> > a reasonable size to send to the mailing list.  I tried it again right
> > now, and it still makes my LCD flicker.
> 
> How weird.  Do you get the same flickering if you display the image using 
> fbcon or svgalib or Microsoft Windows or MetroX or anything besides XFree86?  
> If so, it's either your graphics card or monitor.  If not, it's XFree86.  
> Either way, it's strange.
> 
> You say this came from a screenshot.  What resolution are you using?  What 
> refresh rate does your screen run at?  Have you tried with different 
> resolutions and/or refresh rates?  If your monitor or graphics card has an 
> option to scale the image to fill the screen, try toggling it.  Also, see if 
> the image still causes trouble if you rotate the colors, convert it to 
> black-and-white, rescale it horizontally, drop the red, green, and/or blue 
> channels, blur it horizontally, and so on.
> 
Here's the output of "xrandr":

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ xrandr       
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0   1600 x 1200   ( 572mm x 429mm )  *85   75   70   65   60  
 1   1280 x 1024   ( 572mm x 429mm )   79   68   54  
 2   1024 x 768    ( 572mm x 429mm )   72   60   57   50  
 3    800 x 600    ( 572mm x 429mm )   63   56   55   45   40  
 4    640 x 480    ( 572mm x 429mm )   56   49   39  
 5    640 x 350    ( 572mm x 429mm )   65  
 6    640 x 400    ( 572mm x 429mm )   58  
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal 
Reflections possible - none

(Out of curiousity, I wonder why the refresh rate gets lower
with lower resolutions.. does that have to do with using
an LCD monitor?)

scaled (in all directions) to 
105% no flickering
103% no flickering
101% flickering
91%  lots of flickering
86%  no flickering
lower than that, I haven't been able to get flickering

If I use "xrandr -s 1", and try the image again, I can get
flickering if I make the image approximately the same size
relative to the physical screen (For instance, if I change 
the zoom to about 72%.).

Case
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to