Hello,

I do not believe this is a bug necessarily, I am just trying to clarify
something with regard to getting XFree 4.3.0 running on an S3
Trio64V2/GX. On the list of supported hardware for 4.3.0, it states:

"The s3virge driver in XFree86 4.3.0 supports the S3 ViRGE, ViRGE DX,
GX, GX2, MX, MX+, and VX chipsets."

Does this include the chipset I have? Or does it *only* apply to a
"Virge" chipset? I am concerned that the"V2" part means it is some more
obscure chipset that is not supported, since I seem to only be able to
get XFree 3.3.6 to run, although in the XFdrake config util, the V2/GX
*is* listed.

I am running Mandrake 9.1 on an old Compaq Deskpro with the S3 onboard.
I have tried XFdrake, testing at everywhere from 800x600x8bpp up to
1024x768x24bpp (wishful thinking?), and I have tried the listed drivers
for:

Trio64 (generic)
Trio64V2/GX (generic)
Virge/GX (generic)

Now, sadly, I cannot seem to get it to test OK even when I choose XF
3.3.6 :(

Any help appreciated, if it's RTFM, please give me a hint where to look.
I have tried Google but have found nothing specific to my situation.

Thank you for a great piece of work, this is the first problem I have
ever had on any system with XFree, so I am more suspicious of Compaq and
S3 than XFree in this matter, that is fer sure.

Cheers!

p.s. maybe this is incentive to start learning to use Linux in text mode
only, huh?

--
 Joehill
 Registered Linux user #282046