gabe--

It's a shot it the dark, but...check to see if your kernel has Radeon display support enabled.
I encountered the same symptoms running a distribution kernel (Debian Woody) with a FireGL 1000 Pro Card.
In my case all the virtual consoles went away when _entering_ X with startx. But that wasn't apparent until you exited X.
I built a new kernel with the correct options and, _voila_, the problem went away.

Also, a good reference is:
   http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html