Craig,

Thanks.

PL
-------Original Message-------
From: Craig Ringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 08/05/03 05:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [XFree86] Black screen when running X

> >>I'm running RH9 (Dell Latitude C800) trying to connect
>>to Solaris 9(Ultra 10) system through X.
>>
>>command from linux box to the sun box.
>>
>>X :1 -query sunbox
>>
>>problem:  all I get is a black screen and a cursor.

I'd say your XDMCP server on your Sun box is not listening to requests,
rejecting requests from that host, or perhaps there are network issues.
RH9 uses a black background by default on XFree86 instead of the
stippled grey you're probably used to, so if you get a black background
and cursor then your X server is loading fine.

Make sure you can ping the target host, and check the remote host's logs
for indications of rejected connections. Most likely this is more of a
remote host connectivity/configuration issue than an XFree86 issue.

I've used XDMCP queries from RH9 to SCO OpenServer, so I can confirm
that XFree's XDMCP querying is at least somewhat well behaved. Hell,
it'll deal with OpenServer....

'luck

Craig Ringer

>    I'm not familiar with the "-query" switch.  But a black
> screen and cursor is all you're expected to get when you
> run "X".  I think you want "startx -- :1"

It runs an XDMCP query - the easy way of getting a remote graphical
login screen. Commonly used by thin clients etc, to make the X server
behave like an old-style xterm.

Craig Ringer