On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:45:23PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > I have a new Toshiba laptop with an NVidia-based card. The screen can do
> > a resolution of 1600x1200.
>
> > I tried to use my Gnome control panel
> > to increase the font size, and that works for many applications, but a
> > number of applications, notably mozilla, and xmms, still use painfully
> > tiny fonts. I'd rather go back to using a resolution of 1024x768, which
> > is comfortable for me.
>
> LCDs like on laptops can't really do that. They can scale 1024x768 up to
> 1600x1200 and display that, but it's /ugly/. At least in my opinion,
> you're much better off just fixing the fonts in everything.

Concur strongly.

> > Any idea how to "stretch" the display to fill the screen in a smaller
> > mode?
>
> It's often a BIOS setting. Otherwise, no idea sorry - p'haps somebody
> with a Geforce*go based laptop can help out....

There's an "AllowStretch" keyword that's usable with the Chips driver;
perhaps it works with the NV driver as well?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c