Andrew Rothbart wrote:
If I delete the Xfree86.0.log file, I get this error when I try to start KDE:

Fatal Server Error: cannot open logfile /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Talk about irony.

It sounds like you're trying to start X as a normal user. Normally X runs setuid root:


[craig ~]$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
-rws--x--x   [snip]       /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

so that when executed as a normal user, the X server can still access the hardware properly. I presume you're trying to start KDE using something like:
startx /usr/bin/startkde
yes? You didn't give the command you were using.


If so, perhaps your X server isn't installed setuid for some reason. The /var/log directory should only be writeable by root, you see, and the X server normally runs (setuid) root so it can create that log file.

Did you install an XFree86 tarball perhaps?

If you can confirm that this is the problem, and you have some idea why it might not be setuid root, you can make the XFree86 binary setuid root using "chmod u+s" as root.

Craig Ringer


_______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to