It could be a problem with the font server. Perhaps you could
try using explicit font paths instead of a fonts server? That
is put your /etc/X11/fs/config font paths into the XF86Config
file in place of the "unix" font path (the font server).
Eg:
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
It may work better with XFree86 4.3. We've had some problems with
the font server in the past, but I haven't heard about them since 4.3.
I do still hear of freetype choking on fonts with 4.3 though.
Mark.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Brett H. Williams wrote:
> On Jul 29, Brett H. Williams wrote:
> > I have an intermittent crash of XFree86. It happens about once a week.
>
> [snip]
>
> > FWIW, in case this is an easy one, I'm including some system information.
> > I have an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, with dual-monitors. The two monitors are at
> > different resolutions (an unfortunate problem with the pixel clock on the
> > LCD output on the GeForce2 MX). I run fluxbox on Red Hat 8.0. The crash
> > usually occurs when switching focus to my browser (which is pretty much
> > always the only window on the low-res monitor). Browser is Mozilla
> > Firebird (could be unstable).
> >
> > SYSTEM configuration information:
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > vor-lord:home/brettw> uname -a
> > Linux vor-lord 2.4.18-27.8.0 #1 Fri Mar 14 06:45:49 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
> > GNU/Linux
>
> I've tried Mark's suggestion to replace freetype with xtt, but the crash
> still occurs. I did shut down xdm and so now I have a log file to attach.
>
> I see nothing relevant in /var/log/messages, so I did not attach that.
>
> It is a seg fault, and it always happens when using the browser.
>
> Please help if you can!
>
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86