On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Chimou wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 14:44, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> >
> > The XF86Config file allows you to specify BusID for each "Device" in the
> > form:
> > BusID        "0:14:0"
> > Each device could then be configured with it's own "Screen" section.
> > And then you just need to specify their layout with the "ServerLayout"
> > section (if you are doing multi-head).  Most of what you need should be
> > in 'man XF86Config' for the keywords.
>
> I think you may have misundertand my question. I already have a working
> configuration for both my xinerama and my mono monitor with two layout
> (I attach my XF86Config with this email).
>
> That what I would do it's to automatically detect if a monitor is
> connected to my analog D-SUB VGA Connector of my laptop, and if yes,
> start X with the layout support Xinerama, and if no, start X with
> the simple layout with only one monitor.
>
> So my question is : Does someone know a command or a package, within
> X or indepently (specific or not to a particular card), to detect
> which monitor is attached to a card ?
>
> Thx in advance for your help.

   There are EDID probing utilities out there, and I'm told that
there are Vesa standard ways to probe multiple heads on a single
device.  Whether those EDID probing utilities are up-to-date enough
to support the multihead Vesa stuff is another matter.  So basically,
it should be possible to do this in a device independent way, but
I don't know if there is any software that does that.

                        Mark.