I can't get into localhost via web browser. I get a dialog in mozilla
stating access to localhost is refused. There is a file in my home directory
titled .Xauthority. It has among much cryptic symbolism a literal reference
to localhost. What is this file for and would it affect access to localhost?

I've tried about everything: flushing ipatable rules, looking at hosts and
hosts.allow and hosts.deny. On another machine** I set up the eth0 interface
and was subsequently denied access to localhost on that machine and surmized
that there would be a securety risk involved in allowing access to localhost
when there are potential connections from outside, so I eliminated all
refernces to eth0 on the original machine to eliminate that possibility, to
no avail. The only other possibility is the .Xauthority file.(Or, if there
is another possibility, please let me know. At this time localhost is all I
have availble on this machine* to do web development and testing on.)

*First machine is running Linux Mandrake v9.1 running with a dual boot
system with Windows XP home, ShuttleX machine with Nvidia motherboard,
Athlon K-6 (no working ethernet nic, no modem).

**The second is a Mac Powerbook 3400c/180 with Suse linux 7.1 for PowerPC.

Thank you for your attention:
Jeff Killen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to