On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, James Tanis wrote:

>(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
>(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
>(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
>(EE) No devices detected.
>
>Basically it looks like the Radeon driver has no idea how to handle the
>Radeon 9800. It has dual heads and I think this is what is causing most of
>my problems. I've attempted to write two device sections, each specifying a
>BusID, but whatever device is listed second is ignored. I've attempted
>several different options but none seem to help. It looks like if I could
>just get XFree86 to ignore the second device (or whichever one is
>appropriate) things would at least go a little more smoothly. Has anyone
>had any experience with dealing with unsupported dual-head video cards that
>could lend a hand?

The BusID *MUST* be the same for both screens of a dualhead
Radeon card.  Do NOT specify one as 1:00:0 and the other as 1:00:1

You also need to specify one as "Screen 0" and the other as
"Screen 1".

XFree86 4.3.0 was released before the Radeon 9800 existed, so it
does not support that card.  You need XFree86 CVS to use Radeon
9800, or you need to fake the ChipID to hack around it with
4.3.0.

--
Mike A. Harris