Alan Coopersmith wrote:

Then you won't be able to open sockets in the normal directories unless you
make sure the Solaris Xsun never ever runs, which would require your sysadmin
to configure the system not to start dtlogin at system bootup, or to have
dtlogin always start yours.

[HOME]~> dtlogin Only root wants to run dtlogin [HOME]~> :-)

You can run with the -np option to use tcp sockets only, but will take a
performance hit, or can go into the code to change the location of the
sockets (normally /tmp/.X11-unix) but then will only be able to use
programs linked with the XFree86 libraries with those sockets, and will
still have to use TCP sockets with existing programs that use the
Solaris sockets.

I did a general grep for the string '/tmp/' and '.X11-unix' in the source before, but it is almost not mentioned in the code. Is it something system-dependant, some shell-variable (didn't see it with 'env').
Anyway, I tried to do a hexedit on the Xsun binary and replace /tmp/.X11-*** with /tmp/aX11-***.

At least I get another error now ;-)

[HOME]~> Xsun :0

ld.so.1: Xsun: fatal: libfreetype.so.6.3: open failed: No such file or
directory
zsh: 1276 killed     Xsun :0

Solaris Xsun has followed the X Consortium/X.org tree, and the Solaris 8 version is based on X11R6.4, which was the current release when Solaris 8 came out. XFree86 has diverged from that quite a bit - so it's not that the Solaris X server is old, just that it hasn't followed the same path in extending the X.org server as XFree86 has. We're working on bringing it closer to XFree86 over time - for instance Solaris 9 includes the Render extension that XFree86 introduced, but which has never been included in the upstream X.org releases.

Although I have a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 system now, I think the Xsun server is still the 2.6 one. I don't know how to check this.

Is it possible to build the XFree86 server (like on my i686-linux machine at home) instead of the Xsun one??

You can build it, but as you've found out running it is more tricky,
and many Sun video cards will not be supported, so it depends on which
one you have.

Anyway, thanks for the few good hints!!

Jan