On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:46:23PM +0300, Alexey E. Suslikov wrote:
>skipped...
>
>>>this NoAccel bug is reproducible: X11 can blacks after first time i switching
>>>consoles, sometimes - after 10 times, sometimes - even after 20 times.
>>>looks like (available?) agp memory amount determines this... maybe not...
>>>
>>>and i think this is a common bug for accel and non-accel setups: it doesn't
>>>matter in the accel setup because the ring buffer bug takes precedence.
>>>
>>>and this is common bug for linux and bsd: after the paranoid console
>>>switching, 4.3.0 under linux also blacks its console out. but there is
>>>no ring buffer bug as i mentioned before.
>>>
>>>this "blacking" in non-accel looks like the pipe just deattaching from the
>>>driver (or restoring its state incorrectly), so i can't see anything on the
>>>X's tty while X runs completely normally (i.e. no lockups) and allows me to
>>>switch to completely normally working text ttys.
>>
>> Does further switching give you a working XFree86 display again?
>
>no. once "blacked" it cannot be restored to normal operation. until i
>reboot the box...

It just occurred to me where I had seen this type of black screen problem
before.  It happens when using the "vesa" driver with an 845G.  We work
around this in the i810 driver by remembering the initial video mode
and simply re-initialising it when exiting/VT switching instead of using
the VBE save/restore mechanism.  This workaround is only actived for
845G hardware.  You could try enabling it for all hardware by changing
this line in i830_driver.c from:

   if (!I845G_VBE_WORKAROUND || !IS_845G(pI830)) {

to:

   if (!I845G_VBE_WORKAROUND) {

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com