Try replacing in the XF86Config file:
Load "freetype"
with
Load "xtt"
And if you could try the 4.4 release candidate, that would be
helpful. I don't think it has anything to do with the number
of fonts. It's more likely a rasterization problem with one
of the fonts.
Mark.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Steve Whitlatch wrote:
> One of the very few times I ever had XFree crash. However, this is repeatable,
> happens every time I scroll through the font selection widget in KWord
> (KDE 3.1.4). I feel the crash is almost certainly related to having a very
> large number of fonts installed. Xfontsel reports something like 18
> thousand fonts. AbiWord and OpenOffice have no problem with the high
> number of fonts, but I do believe both of them ignore system PostScript
> fonts. So, they are not dealing with the full 18 thousand fonts. It
> appears that KWord tries to deal with all 18 thousand fonts in this
> system, and thus streses Xfree to a pont at which some integer can no
> longer hold the value being assigned to it.
>
> That is my guess. Fix? Change int to long? I dunno. I am just reporting
> the crash. Again, it is completely reproduceable; thus, it is unlikely to
> be a hardware problem as the Sig 11 would indicate to me.
>
> I attach all the info I have. I will be glad to help if I can. You may
> need someone with a huge number of fonts to force this crash. The crash is
> not just KDE, it's the entire X server.
>
> Steve Whitlatch
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86