My SuSE9.0 linux comes with a ~/.Xmodmap file which suggests how
to move things around so (say Control_R) becomes MultiKey.
The xkb docs I have found so far kind of imply there is a new way to do
this kind of thing, and that applications can become "xkb aware".
I want to be able to type accented characters and phonetics
into perl/Tk apps. (I am the perl/Tk maintainer so I can change the C
code as necessary). I don't mind if I use dead-keys or MultiKey style.
Questions:
Why are the 'deadkeys' where they are (UK keyboard) rather than more
memorable places - e.g. why is dead_circumflex ALtGr+apostrophe
rather than (say) AltGr+asciicircumflex?
I found Sun's "Compose+letter+accent" style easier to guess.
If I understood why things are where they are it might be easier.
Is it "easy" to move dead variant of accent to key with a glyph that
looks like accent e.g
'\'' -> dead_acute
'`' -> dead_grave
'~' -> dead_tilde
'^' -> dead_circumflex
',' -> dead_cedilar
etc. ?
Question above can be re-phrased as "Why wasn't it done that way?"
How does all this interact with LANG locale setting - with particular
reference to UTF-8 locales.
Where should I be looking for docs on keyboard stuff in modern XFree86?
How does an application become "xkb aware"?
Client side is there an easy way to get UTF-8 from all this?
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86