Dear all,

I have enclosed parts of 3 files which I have set to try and allow me to alter
the mode the X server starts in - be it landscape or portrait.  Unfortunately,
I do not understand the script in "startx" enough to work out why this isnt
working (that file is the default by the way - i havent changed it)

The ~/.xserverrc file has permissions "755".

Please could you assist me in working out why my x server "-layout" option is
not being picked up.

Regards

Gareth Deli

I enclose below, the ServerLayout part of my XF86Config-4 file

# this is the default server layout as is the first one :o)
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "landscape"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    Screen "scr_landscape"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "portrait"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    Screen "scr_portrait"
EndSection

I enclose below, the ~/.xserverrc file

#! /bin/sh
-layout portrait

I enclose below, the first part of my /etc/X11R6/bin/startx file

userclientrc=$HOME/.xinitrc
userserverrc=$HOME/.xserverrc
sysclientrc=/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
sysserverrc=/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
defaultclientargs=""
defaultserverargs=""
clientargs=""
serverargs=""

if [ -f $userclientrc ]; then
    defaultclientargs=$userclientrc
elif [ -f $sysclientrc ]; then
    defaultclientargs=$sysclientrc
fi

if [ -f $userserverrc ]; then
    defaultserverargs=$userserverrc
elif [ -f $sysserverrc ]; then
    defaultserverargs=$sysserverrc
fi

whoseargs="client"
while [ x"$1" != x ]; do
    case "$1" in
        /''*|\.*)       if [ "$whoseargs" = "client" ]; then
                    if [ "x$clientargs" = x ]; then
                        clientargs="$1"
                    else
                        clientargs="$clientargs $1"
                    fi
                else
                    if [ "x$serverargs" = x ]; then
                        serverargs="$1"
                    else
                        serverargs="$serverargs $1"
                    fi
                fi ;;
        --)     whoseargs="server" ;;
        *)      if [ "$whoseargs" = "client" ]; then
                    if [ "x$clientargs" = x ]; then
                        clientargs="$defaultclientargs $1"