Thanks for the reply. I will take a closer look.
I read this in the compilation guide. Is this not accurate.

7. Mesa

Most of the DRI 3D drivers are based on Mesa (the free implementation of
the OpenGL API). The relevant files from Mesa are already included in
the XFree86/DRI source tree. There is no need to download or install the
Mesa source files separately.