your version of xfree86 is way too old. please try with a newer
version. there were quite a few bugs in the pre-4.3 version. you may
need the "monitorlayout" option which wasn't added until after 4.3 was
released. Also, as was poined out, you can also use mergedfb for
dualhead.
Alex
------------------
Hello,
I have a portable (Sony GRX316MP) which contains a Radeon 7500 mobility
which
has dual-head capability. I know this chip CAN handle non-cloning dual
head
because the X server from Xig does it (and Windows of course). But the
Xig
server has some problems and it seems to only support two heads in
Xinerama
mode; I want to have separate X displays on both heads.
But whatever configuration I try in XFree86 I at the most get a cloned
screen,
i.e. the secondary monitor shows (part of) the primary screen.
The primary screen is the laptop's LCD at [EMAIL PROTECTED], the secondary
monitor is an LCD [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To get the secondary screen to work at all I had to specify
Option "CloneMode" "1280x1024"
in the device section for the primary head, else it used the mode for
the
primary head regardless of the information in the Screen section and
the
information returned by DDC from the 2nd screen.
Parts of my XF86Config:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Dual-Head"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "Clone" "off"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Radeon VE"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "CloneMode" "1280x1024"
Option "CloneVRefresh" "75-75"
Screen 0
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Radeon VE"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection
I also have Screen, Monitor and Modes sections for each separate
monitor.
Whatever I do I either have no display on the secondary monitor at all,
or the
server dies with a SEGV, or I have a cloned display instead of a dual
head
(separate X desktops). I tried the Xinerama stuff also but this has no
effect
whatshowever which seems logical since i do not HAVE two heads to
Xinerama
on ;-)
I tried this on the SUSE 9.0 stock XFree which seems to be a patched
prerelease of XFree 4.3 (it has the warnings and reports a 4.2.99
version
number). But I also compiled XFree 4.4-with-patches from source and it
doesn't work either.
Can ANYONE help me? Please? I'm currently looking at the radeon_driver
source
but before I know what's going on there will take a while >-(
Thans,
Frits Jalvingh
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - File online by April 15th
http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86