On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:31:59 -0400
Karl Hakmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been running 4.3 but had a problem I couldn't fix so I thought I'd just 
> install the newer version and get on with life.  Wrong!
> 
> I followed the online INSTALL instructions (I read that a detailed doc on the 4.4 
> release was not yet available but what was there looked detailed enough to go ahead, 
> so I did).
> 
> Everything seemed to go normally enough but after going thru the "install" and then 
> the "configuration" (with XFree86 -configure) I
> rebooted, logged in as root, and was confronted with a screen having only a 
> mysterious "table" with Clients/Session Log/Checkpoint/Shutdown
> cells that is as far as I can get in starting X. I have no idea what this is for, 
> why I am seeing it and what I need to do to get past it.
> 
> I've looked at all the docs on the X86 Home site and found no clues to its function 
> or meaning.
> 
> I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me about this "table"
> or what I ought to do about it.  [BTW, I'm not on that machine as I write this, or 
> does that go without saying?  :)]  
> 
> 

Since I posted this, I've tried creating several (!) new XF86Config files and even 
tried staring X without an XF86Config file (supposedly
a new feature of the 4.4 release but keep running into that mysterious "table" (a 
bridge to nowhere as far as I've been able to figure).

However, some good comes out of anything except the IRS so I've started studying the 
XF86Config file and doing a little tweaking and in the spirit of Sam Jaffe in The Day 
The Earth Stood Still, I have a few thousand questions I'd like to ask (but won't).  
Still, there are two
that are really bugging me:

1.  When I specify the HorizSync range (which has to be in kHz) is
the unit hardcoded "kHz"?  Similar question for VertRefresh (which has to be in Hz). 
If not, can I specify the units in the config file?

2.  Why is the BusID always PCI (not only in the configs I've produced here but also 
in all the configs I've seen posted here).  The docs make it clear that the "BusType" 
Option should NEVER force a PCI card to AGP bus so what isn't BusID AGP?  (Does anyone 
actually use a PCI video card except by accident or from ignorance?)

BTW, if anyone has a clue about the "mystery" table, I'd really appreciate some 
guidance here.  



Karl L
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage: http://hakmiller.rootsweb.com
============= Linux Lives! ============          
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to