From: colin higgs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent
: 07 July 2004 16:54
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [XFree86] XFree86 4.3.0 with ATI Radeon 9100 IGP

Hello everyone,

[Sorry for a multiple posting. I seem to have reached the archives,
but not the list.... So I'll try again.]

I have recently bought an ASUS PUNDIT-R barebone system.
The on-board graphic processor is an ATI Radeon 9100 IGP chip.
This chip has both digital and analog outputs.

I have two flat panels, EIZO L685 connected to the analog port and
EIZO L767 connected to the digital port.

I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3, kernel 2.4.20-28.7.
Next I loaded XFree86 4.3.0. (I would like to stay with this for the
moment in case I have to try ATI's propriety driver, 3.9.0 which runs
under XFree86 4.3.0).

My first observation is that the driver used by the Xserver is vesa.

Despite configuring a xinerama server, I only get one screen active, either
the digital screen, or the analog screen, (depending on what was connected).
With both connected I get an Xserver on the screen pre-defined in the
PUNDIT-R's BIOS. (Digital, analog, or both(clone)). But I can't get
xinerama no matter what I do. As soon as I add "Screen 1" in the second
Device section, I get an error:

Fatal server error:
Requested Entity already in use!

I have enclosed the following files.
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
/var/log/XFree86.log.0   (one screen attached)
/var/log/XFree86.log.0   (two screens attached)

Question: Is this integrated chip capable of running a xinerama Xserver? And why
am I getting the vesa driver?

All help will be most welcome. Thanking you in advance.
My final aim is to have a 2x2 screen xinerama console, using the 9100 IGP on-board
chip together with an ATI  RADEON 9200 PCI card.  I have configured many 4-screen servers
using various MATROX cards, without any problems and without having to produce a customized kernel.

Colin Higgs