Hi Thomas,

1. Alex claimed:

Thomas wrote (excerpts):
> In 2000, … select a different monitor than "generic" or "pnp",
> such as "legacy" or "standard". …
> In the area below, you can choose a fixed vertical refresh rate.

In 2000, the maximum “Standard” choice is
“SuperVGA 1024x768 @ 75Hz”
In XP, the maximum refresh choice is
“SuperVGA 1024x768” (still @ 75Hz, maximum actual rate)
I don’t know Europe, but here in the States, 75 is assumed to be
the maximum “default” rate for an unknown monitor (or put it
another way, Microsoft wants to avoid law suits from US users
willing to smoke their old monitors at higher rates. Maybe EU
disallows suits up to 85 :-) )
BTW, in my many futile attempts to fix the Windows monitor
problem, I tried to add/change many relevant values in the
registry (there are basically three main keys - and then their
subkeys - governing the video display, to no avail.
But I’m digressing …

Actually, Hitachi monitor’s driver allows higher rates than 75,
and duly records them in the registry, but as I said at the start
of this thread, once the monitor is up and running when Windows
starts up, the refresh rate drops to 75Hz maximum.
Only when the monitor does not identify itself (like when you keep
it powered off for the whole duration of Windows start-up,
you can get the desired 85Hz and then you can set it higher
(to 120, if you want).

2. Thomas answered with a beautiful, detailed explanation a few
questions regarding the Xfree86.log asked by Alex.
Alex: Many thanks.

3. Thomas wrote:
> … a mode matching your Modeline is already built-in, so,
> in essence, your Modeline is not required.
> The mode that will be used instead matches your desired
> mode exactly.
> Leave the Modeline out and you'll see no difference.
> …
> What remains unclear to me is what you meant by
> "impossibility of fixing the video driver parameters".
> I don't see a problem here at all.

How can I have my monitor start up in, say,
800 x 600 x 60 Hz mode?

4. Here the plot thickens . . .
I went back to a few older Xfree86 logs and I found some
unsettling “SIS(0)” lines there:

- On a “startx” to an “X” screen (an xterm):
. . .
(--) SIS(0): Memory bandwidth at 32 bpp is 665.784 MHz
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.7
(--) SIS(0): CRT1 DDC probing failed
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
. . .

- On a “startx” to a “KDE 3.2” screen:
. . .
(--) SIS(0): Memory bandwidth at 32 bpp is 665.784 MHz
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.7
(--) SIS(0): CRT1 DDC supported
(--) SIS(0): CRT1 DDC level: 2
(WW) SIS(0): CRT1 DDC reading failed
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
. . .

5. Thank you very much,
-- Alex