Hi

Hope this reaches someone. I started off loving Linux the other day because for the first time I actually got Red Hat Enterprise working on my machine and I was really chuffed. That was then, this is now! Situation has changed because I got a bit cocky and thought I knew everything. I've just tried to update XFree86 and have consequently overwritten the old XFree86 which actually worked. Now I can get to the login screen but whatever session I log in as it shows me a nice console window and a failsafe screen. Which is really nice but it means nothing to me. I have a condition and I find it quite mind-boggling looking at a console screen, it's obviously telling me it hasn't worked - but there could be numerous alternatives to resolve the problem and I don't know what they are. If I remove Linux and start again i would be screwed because a) I've downloaded lots of stuff and I would lose it b) it would have wasted my time when I need it for University and I'd have to install it again and run updates again - not prepared to do that c) it would ruin my master boot record stored on my windows drive and I would consequently lose windows - another operating system I am very good at messing up. I just hope somebody can tell me how I resolve XFree86 or get it working. I've got my Nvidia drivers but it throws them out now so obviously they are not the problem as they installed perfectly in the old version of XFree86. Please help.

John Sullivan