Yes, amazingly it's the same problem with both interfaces. :)

Let me open with this: I've followed the advice in the XPAI manual
(PHP's Safe_mode=on etc..) and still the left menu bar doesn't update
after a successful logon.. Then I tried PHPXmail and there too - No
luck.. Same problem! I'm using the latest PHP, XMail 1.12, on Apache 2.043..

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I think this is the most
reasonable place for such a question...