I agree, the "you missed something" is not a good start.

How hard can it be to take an existing working xav setup (as noted
22/08/2003 version of exe) and replace the exe with a newer one.  Also
verify and update if needed, the ini file for any new options.  In the
latest xav.zip I also tried the new de-mime package included in the zip.  I
even tried the supplied ini, with mods to paths only.
I checked the debug output of both xav and xmail.

I can see xmail launch xav, I can see the xav launch uudeview & AVG, and
then return to xmail with RC=0.

What would be useful is the debug of xav to output the actual RC that it got
from AVG, at the moment it only shows what it expects to get if there is a
virus.

I have done this for each new version DOLIST has put out and each and every
version after 22/08/2003 fails to return anything other than RC=0.  I have
then returned to the original xav.exe and re-tested, and the virus is found.
Most times I have not returned to the original ini, just left the updated
one in place, because there is nothing significant changed.

As it seems that there are a few of us out here with problems with xav,
could you put out a version with more verbose logging.  This will help to
identify where the problem is.
You are welcome to mail me off list and we can report back to the list when
there is a solution.

Rob :-)

PS. It would be nice to have a version number in your distro.