On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Orion Productions wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I searched the list from 2001 onwards
> and couldn't find anything.
>
> If you configure a mailbox with a size of, let's say, 1MB, and then send a message
> to it of, let's say, 5MB, it is still accepted and the mailbox has become... 6MB in
> size!  Now, this seems to be unacceptable for some of our users (LOL, they are
> scared that they would have to pay more for their hosting space I guess :p).
> So is there a way to alter this behavior?  My clients cannot understand that XMail
> works that way ;)  Or if it can't be done with XMail itself, maybe with the new
> pre-data filters?!  Has anybody come up with a solution to this problem?

Doing this in online SMTP is impossible. The step that goes from the SMTP
session to the message delivery is definitely not atomic. It'd be possible
to reject the message at mailbox delivery time, by sending a notification
message to the sender. Considering everything, I think this is going to
stay as is.