On [Thu, 03.06. 14:43], alex wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>
> > At 08:22 6/3/2004, you wrote:
> >

> >>This is a CRAZY idea !
> >>In a few time you have banned 50% or more of internet traffic !
> >>alex wrote:
> >

> > It's actually not a crazy idea, because a very large percentage of the
> > virus traffic on the Internet originates from end-user boxes (machines that
> > were never intended to be mail servers, nor to deliver mail directly to
> > MTAs). A lot of places are already blocking dynamic address machines anyway
> > (I block by RDNS on patterns that tend to indicate end user machines, such
> > as "adsl-99-25-74-211.dsl.blvloh.ameritech.net"). Since these kinds of
> > machines are 1) not intended to deliver mail, and 2) prohibited by their
> > ISP's Terms Of Service or Acceptable Use Policies from running mail
> > servers, there is no reason not to block them. And since these machines
>
> That's not entirely true, my isp allows me to setup my own mailserver though
> our hostnames are something like adsl-111.111.111.111.xs4all.nl :)
>
> But I agree with you that it is a very useful filter.
Folks, just ignore me if you think I'm riding a dead cow ...

I do a similar thing for two months : Every mail reportet to be infected gets a
second treatment:

* look for originating IP (of SMTP envelope, _not_ headers)
* resolve its domain
* get the MX for that domain
* if the IPs are not equal, block the host, since it is an infected, non MX
host.

This approach works _very_ fine (not a single complain ever since, opposed to
three complaints due to RDNS check, which started the same time) the SMTP load
actually is _reduced_ and the "SNDRIP=EIPSPAM" is constantly rising :-) .... and
of course the virus/day rate is sinking.

Since hosts that send you a virus nowadays are very likely sending you the same
stuff again soon, blacklisting (IMHO) is a valid option combined with scanning.

just my two cents

  Goesta

--
Wiener Hilfswerk - EDV