Hey all:

We've recently installed a Barracuda (rack-mount "spam firewall" based on
Spam Assassin, also does virus scanning) on our network in front of our
XMail system, and pointed our MX records to deliver mail to the Barracuda
instead of directly to our server. This change was made over a month ago,
but we still find some spammers and viruses (especially W32/Zafi.B) are
delivering directly to our XMail server instead of following the MX records
to the Barracuda. The mail server is not at the same IP address as our
default @ record for the domain, but it does have A records for "mail" and
"smtp".

First question: has anyone seen behavior like this before (bypassing MX
records)?

Second question: is there any way to configure XMail to block any
unauthenticated request from untrusted IP addresses (not in SMTPRELAY.TAB),
but still allow mail from the Barracuda to come in (obviously the Barracuda
is in SMTPRELAY.TAB) and allow our users to relay with authentication?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or insights!

Kirk