At 00:09 3/13/2005, Kroll, David wrote:
>This is a Win2003 DNS issue.
>Some mailservers behind firewalls which do not allow transfer of UDP packets
>larger than 512 bytes may not be able to return the MX record
>
>If your firewall restricts UDP packet transfers though, you may want to
>verify that it will allow transfer of a MX record within the size
>limitations specified by RFC1035:
>
>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1035.html
>
>Windows 2003 server has included Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS0) to
>allow larger packets.  If you run this command on a 2003 server: "dnscmd
>Server Name/Config /EnableEDnsProbes 0", it fixes it without making any
>changes to the firewall.

OK, did I miss something, or have UDP-based DNS messages been changed since
the last time I looked?

<checks RFC1035>

Nope... Still a 512 octet message length (section 2.3.4). Any UDP-based DNS
message longer than that is not RFC compliant, and (IMHO) should be
blocked. That's why there's a method to fall back to TCP when there's more
data to be returned than will fit in a 512 octet message....

If there's an RFC that allows larger packets in UDP, could you reference it
please?