The good news is, XMail is finally running properly. The bad news is,  I'm
not exactly sure how.

> To prevent sendmal from runnig under Freebsd, add to /etc/rc.conf the
following:  "sendmail_enable = NONE".  However, I don't know why
sendmail would interfere with CtrlClnt, or if it would.  You can do a ps

> -alx | grep sendmail to see if it's running.

I did try to turn off sendmail. When I rebooted, Xmail started up fine,
and I could use CtrlClnt.

/etc/rc.sendmail
# This script is used by /etc/rc at boot time to start sendmail.  It # is
meant to be sendmail specific and not a generic script for all # MTAs.  It
is only called by /etc/rc if the rc.conf mta_start_script is # set to
/etc/rc.sendmail.  This provides the opportunity for other MTAs # to
provide their own startup script.

/etc/defaults/rc.conf
mta_start_script="/etc/rc.sendmail"

SO I ADDED THIS LINE TO /etc/rc.conf ABOVE OTHER SERVICES
mta_start_script="/usr/local/etc/rc.d/xmailserverstart.sh"

Then I rebooted.

Funny thing is, NONE of the services defined in /etc/rc.conf (except
IPFILTER) are starting up on reboot, and "ps" yields the exact same
results as reported before for sendmail:

 >>james# ps -alx | grep sendmail
 >>    0   394   390 164   8  0  1632 1100 wait   I+   con    0:00.00
 >>/bin/sh /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOpt
 >>    0   395   394 164 116  0  2772 1804 select I+   con    0:00.01
 >>/usr/sbin/sendmail.xmail -L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOptio

Here's to happy XMailing!

ross

PS Happy Father's Day to those who code with kids.