I see .. but this kind of problems could be moved to the script if you
submit the current POP command e.g.:

pop.out.tab:
"scriptname" "@@FILE" "@@POPCMD"

When @@POPCMD is e.g. LIST, the script injects the file listing to the POP
conversation, RETR returns the message content etc.

Moving all command handling into the programmer's hands will also allow
custom commands for modifed POP clients. There would be no limits if we just
have 2 things:

The hook and a way to inject data into the POP conversation.

If performance is an issue, we could use a global switch to disable POP
customization for those who don't need it.

Just some ideas - I know .. IMAP has priority ... ;)

--Harald