I would look more closely at what is causing the problem with ASSP and
continue to use that.  I like it much better than Spam Assassin myself,
at least for use with XMail.  It is far more efficient since it handles
the SPAM check in the SMTP session then closes it after a specified
number of bytes, and it has far more options (RBL, filters, domain
blocking, whitelisting, etc.).

Jeff