Hal,

It is dependant on the other end's SSL capabilities.
If it is capable, then it SSL is attempted because your end *is* capable.
Then it fails because there is no SSL keys.

The default config has SSL on, but if you follow the install instructions,
it says *must* create keys.
In which case it would all work.  But most of us read that bit and say to
ourselves; "I don't want/need SSL so I won't bother with that bit".
This is where it falls apart.
(My view is that if xmail does not find SSL keys, then it should not
advertise SSL/TLS as a capability.)

Perhaps, at startup time, if xmail were to popup a message stating that
certain dependencies were not met, then the administrator would be notified
before emails are bounced and the logs analysed some time later.

Note the EnableXXXX-TLS settings are for inbound connections, while SMTP-TLS
is for outbound connections.
I agree the defaults could be consistent.

Rob :-)

Note To Self: Remember to put something witty here later...