I have not noticed this specifically with xmail, but I have noticed this
with other applications. I wrote a very simple test application once
(that did nothing but spawn threads which sat idle for 5 minutes, then
exited). The count was right around 1800 when the application became
unable to spawn additional threads - when some of the spawned threads
exited, the application was then able to spawn additional threads.