Thanks Davide.

Ok for PLAIN/TEXT

-----Message d'origine-----
De : xmail-boun...@xmailserver.org [mailto:xmail-boun...@xmailserver.org] De
la part de Davide Libenzi
Envoyé : jeudi 25 février 2010 17:44
À : XMail Users Mailing List
Objet : Re: [xmail] Delay in delivering

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Emmanuel Gonzalez wrote:

Guys, can you PLEASE use plain/text when writing messages to this mailing
list?!?

> I found a strange behavior in Xmail for local delivery due to a DNS
problem.

> Let me describe first the installation.
>

> -1- Xmail 1.26 configuration and binaries duplicated from a running
platform directly exposed on internet

> -2- This duplicated Xmail has been installed on DMZ (behind a firewall +
NAT) : 192.168.1.100

> -3- On firewall : transparent translation of port 110 and 25 to Xmail
>

> I had the following problems:
>
> -          Not all mails were going out (some of them being always in
retry), others going out?

> -          2 hours for delivery of received mails (even mails sent from
local account to another local account)

> Strange behavior:
>
> -1- If I Stop and Start Xmail, all mails in the spool are finally
delivered immediately to mailboxes (but still problem when
> sending)
>
> -2- after that, again 2 hours minimum for delivery (I can see mails in the
spool?)

> -3- If I Stop and Start again Xmail, all mails in the spool are delivered
immediately to mailboxes (but still problem when
> sending)
>
> => I can?t do that every 3 minutes :( and btw still mails that are in
retry mode, then after a while, in frozen state.

> After spending time on Xmail queue (thanks to Xmail Queue Manager: GREAT)
and looking in the log, I found that Xmail had DNS
> problems.
>
> I don?t know why because the server is resolving Names with no problem?
 (dns1 : 192.168.1.20 ; dns2 : 83.144.0.10)

> Googleing  my errors, I found things about DNS recursion (my DNS server
192.168.1.20 was already accepting recursion?)

> What I did is:  uncomment SmartDNSHost and put :
>
> "SmartDNSHost"             " 192.168.1.20:tcp"
>

> Then, all the message that were not going out started finally to go out
and immediately the received mails were delivered.

> -          Question 1:                Why do I need SmartDNSHost ?? In my
case, The server running Xmail has already DNS
> servers entries in its TCP/IP configuration
>

> -          Question 2:                I think there is no link between
local delivery and outgoing mails, no ? Why Xmail is not
> delivering immediately received mails, even if Xmail is having problems to
send mails due to DNS resolution ??

> On a other network (with DMZ, Firewall, Nat), I have done the same test
(Xmail V 1.25) and reproduce this behavior that is
> solved immediately with SmartDNSHost
>

> No help/solution needed, I just want to understand?

Does the firewall allow direct DNS traffic for hosts behind it?  The fact
that the server can resolve an address does not mean anything.  XMail, if
not told otherwise (by SmartDNSHost), resolves names directly, by issuing
queries from roots down.  And if there are rules in the firewall to not
allow that, you are going to have problems, unless you use SmartDNSHost
(or you set an exception for the XMail IP).  Also, you can try the latest
1.27 pre-release.
The reason why local mail is delayed too, is because if SMAIL thread are
busy/hung trying to deliver remote messages, they cannot deliver local mail.