On 21 Mar 2010, at 02:33, Davide Libenzi wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have the option in XMail to disable POP3 locks
>> altogether?  So long as every session maintains its state and no mails
>> were removed externally or by the quitting of another POP3 session,
>> multiple client connections shouldn't be a problem, and would be very
>> useful for for instance cell phones that poll while desktops fetch new
>> mail, or 3G connections which are highly flaky and by which their
>> interruption leaves a lock that takes forever to clear.
>
> You are making assumption that are not true.  But sure, if you want to do
> it in your code, just make UsrPOP3Lock() and UsrPOP3Unlock() inside
> UsrUtils.cpp be NOOP.

I don't think it's really dangerous unless users do something silly like delete
mails from both clients.  Dovecot's POP3 defaults to this behaviour, in fact:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/POP3Server

I don't use that POP3 server though because it would waste resources while my
mails are all in maildirs with CR+LF and all mail is always deleted.  But
thanks for the info, I will patch.

Cheers,
Sabahattin