Hello,

   I feel like I am beating a dead horse here, so I am sorry again if this is
something stupid.

   The last time I posted to this list I was having problems getting xmame to
recognize another axis on my gamepad.  This was solved easily by trying to configure
the general input rather than game specific input.  That was with a Dual Action
Logitech gamepad.

    Well I figured that it would be trivial to get a nicer gamepad.  So I bought 2
Logitech Wingman Cordless gamepads.  As with last time, linux recognizes the gamepad
and jscalibrator shows all of the various axis and buttons.  There is a little
difference with this one as it has a mode (2 different modes) button on the
controller.  When I am in the right mode the D-pad (which is the one I really care
about) responds.  It is shown where the analog would normally be in jscalibrator but
acts just like an 8-way.  So far, so good, so when I try to set up xmame (in the
general setup) to use the D pad, it will not let me.  In fact, other than the buttons
no axis seems to work.  Anyone have any ideas for me?  Thank you in advance.