I'm running Debian testing (or is it unstable?  I never can remember
which) and I've run into a problem involving memmove when trying to
compile xmess.

I do keep the system up to date with apt-get update/apt-get upgrade
regularly,but this problem has persisted for a month:

[MESS] Compiling mess/expat/xmlrole.c ...
[MESS] Compiling mess/expat/xmltok.c ...
[MESS] Compiling mess/expat/xmlparse.c ...
mess/expat/xmlparse.c:76:2: #error memmove does not exist on this
platform, nor is a substitute available
mess/expat/xmlparse.c:324: warning: `processInternalParamEntity' declared
`static' but never defined
make: *** [xmess.obj/mess/expat/xmlparse.o] Error 1

I used to be able to compile this, so it's an occurence with either a
recent version of xmess or a recent library update. Note that xmame
compiles without problems.  This affects both the x11 and the xgl targets.